New registrations are temporarily disabled due to a fault with our email system. We are working to resolve this.

choose a router

Moderator: ChamSys.be

choose a router

Postby Lukashov » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:48 pm

Which Wifi Router buy for a system of Cham Sys Maxi Wing + NetBook. I want to control the light devices thru ArtNet while using Ipod 4 for remote control. At the seminar said, as I understood, the conflicts can be avoided if the system have the intelegent router, but teacher did not name a specific model and its special settings or features. Help me choose a router and explain what could be the conflict and how to avoid it.
Lukashov

Re: choose a router

Postby ChamSys.be » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:38 pm

The Wifi router is only for remote communication, so not for ArtNet transmition.
You can use any router, or evebn better an access point, because the router part is not needed.

The only difference is that some acces points/routers don't accept a 2.x.x.x IP address, which is used for Artnet. But we can't give you brands or types. The types of these devices change all the time.
ChamSys.be
Site Admin

Postby Lukashov » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:29 pm

thanks for the reply.
I use a WiFi router as a Switcher. Connected to the router by ethernet netbook, on wifi Ipod and through ethernet art-gate. I remember at the seminar that the use of direct-out DMX conflicts can arise, but when used in Art-Gate system and Ipod will be conflicts, if the router is not specifically configured routing table. Am I right?
Lukashov

Postby ChamSys.be » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:05 pm

If the switch inside the router is not internaly fast enough, then you can have problems with ArtNet and have delay or loss of information in the ArtNet transfer.
If you want to be sure:
- use then a professioanl switch, like an ELC Switch 8
- in this switch you can configure the network ports and set a port so that it don't let thru ArtNet
- on this port you can connect your router/access point
- now the traffic on this port is much less then on the other ports
ChamSys.be
Site Admin

Postby Lukashov » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:43 pm

thanks for the reply.
- At the seminar suggested using intelegent router, I remember. Are there any routers that will replace you describe the configuration of the two network devices, provided that these routers are also stable as your system?
- Will I have to set the port for the router / access point, so that it did not create a connection to the port connected to the art-Gate, when creating your configuration of network hardware?
Lukashov

Postby ChamSys.be » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:50 pm

- there will be other switches that can do this also, but i don't know which one. The ELC switches are made for this.
- if you use this switch, then you have to configure the router as normal, so placing it in the IP range as the console, all the rest is done by the switch.
ChamSys.be
Site Admin

Postby Lukashov » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:28 pm

- How to configure port ELC Switch 8 to it don't let thru ArtNet?
I think it is necessary to find a router with the ability to do this kind of port settings. But what are the settings?
Lukashov

Postby ChamSys.be » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:38 pm

The ELC can be configured via the dmXLan software. Port has to be set to filter instead of Normal and then you can set the ArtNet filter at Enabled.
ChamSys.be
Site Admin

Postby machtl » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:26 pm

If you use a normal switch or a ap with switch, than you must use artnet-II! So, the packets are sent directly to the destination, and not broadcasted on the whole network including the wireless section...
machtl

Postby Lorenzo.Fattori » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:37 pm

i'm using DLINK normal router-switch with standard artnet (multicast) without problems... i also use the same network for the laser software & dongle.

router setup is automatic dhcp in 2.x.x.x range and laser dongle is 192.168.x.x range
Lorenzo.Fattori

Postby Lukashov » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:35 pm

Do you use the remote control?
Possible failure ARTNeT when used in conjunction with distanotsionnym management is the subject of my question
djlorenz wrote:i'm using DLINK normal router-switch with standard artnet (multicast) without problems... i also use the same network for the laser software & dongle.

router setup is automatic dhcp in 2.x.x.x range and laser dongle is 192.168.x.x range
Lukashov

Postby Lukashov » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:42 pm

thanks for the reply, the reply adds clever thoughts in my head, real! But I want to use a router to work through it and the remote control and the artGate.
machtl wrote:If you use a normal switch or a ap with switch, than you must use artnet-II! So, the packets are sent directly to the destination, and not broadcasted on the whole network including the wireless section...
Lukashov

Postby Lorenzo.Fattori » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:19 am

Lukashov wrote:Do you use the remote control?
Possible failure ARTNeT when used in conjunction with distanotsionnym management is the subject of my question
djlorenz wrote:i'm using DLINK normal router-switch with standard artnet (multicast) without problems... i also use the same network for the laser software & dongle.

no i use a cheap artnet-dmx device, no remote (ipad ecc) for now...
Lorenzo.Fattori

Postby Jimmy2Ricky » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:01 am

Lukashov wrote:thanks for the reply.
I use a WiFi router as a Switcher. Connected to the routerby ethernet netbook, on wifi Ipod and through ethernet art-gate. I remember at the seminar that the use of direct-out DMX conflicts can arise, but when used in Art-Gate system and Ipod will be conflicts, if the router is not specifically configured routing table. Am I right?

Do it has the remote control?
Jimmy2Ricky

Postby StormFiber » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:49 pm

Jimmy2Ricky wrote:
Lukashov wrote:thanks for the reply.
I use a WiFi router as a Switcher. Connected to this doesn't feel like me by ethernet netbook, on wifi Ipod and through ethernet art-gate. I remember at the seminar that the use of direct-out DMX conflicts can arise, but when used in Art-Gate system and Ipod will be conflicts, if the router is not specifically configured routing table. Am I right?

Do it has the remote control?

bloody spammer :evil:
StormFiber

Next

Return to General