New registrations are temporarily disabled due to a fault with our email system. We are working to resolve this.

Capabilities of Mac Built In Visualiser

Connection between MagicQ and Visualisers as Capture 2005, Wysiwyg,....

Moderator: ChamSys.be

Capabilities of Mac Built In Visualiser

Postby cjallen321 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:44 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm new to MagicQ and after time toiling to get to grips with MagicQ (which I'm not complaining about!) I just wanted to check something; what should I reasonably expect to be able to do with the built in visualiser? I know that is likely a very open and none-specific question, but I've seen truss in there when it opens but can't seem to find any options at all and I'm wondering if fixtures are just meant to appear to give you an idea you are on the right track!

I've had a look at Capture, and that seemed to be the opposite end of the scale - where do I start! I did manage to get tutorial.exe working after switching to a PC to try things out (I am hoping to be mac based, but I fear this might be part of my problem) but my adventures with the Club demo in Capture (student) aren't happening (largely because I have no idea what I'm doing!).

Sorry for the newbie post, if anyone has any pointers or resources they could suggest or point me towards I'd be grateful. I suppose an example of what I'd like to be able to do might help. My initial goal is to use the built in visualiser (unless anyone would advise against this) point 6 generic dimmers at some kind of stage and see the effects of the gels / intensities I'm blending.

Thanks,
Chris.
cjallen321

Re: Capabilities of Mac Built In Visualiser

Postby Empyfree » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:49 pm

Hi again...

I believe capture is extremely competent, but I've never gotten very far with it and the learning curve seems very steep.

The built in visualiser is aimed at giving you an idea what your fixtures would be (or "should be" doing in real life. You can arrange the fixtures by editing their xyz coordinates in the visualiser patch window. You can't drag fixtures around visually.

You can add truss by going to Attach objects and choosing the truss option. Any fixtures you add to the visualiser immediately after adding truss will be attached to it, this can be useful for building up a rig.

I've never tried adding gel to dimmers/parcans in visualiser, I wouldn't expect too much of the colourising system!

The best thing is that ChamSys are actively upgrading the visualiser so there should be good things coming in the future.
Empyfree

Postby ceecrb1 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:28 pm

Put it this way:
A few months ago I had to opp lights for ONE act on the 2nd stage of a large festival.
There was an argument between the local electrical supplier and the event organisers, the electrical supplier cut the power at 2pm during the final rig/programming day. I was MENT to have from 10pm till 12pm to program... Generators arrived at 9.30 am as we opened doors to the public. The sound guys were EQing the PA during the first band etc etc.

BY LUCK we got a generator connected to the stage in the middle of the night for 1 hour only (before It was taken to the main stage to get them fully up and running), just enough time to give fixtures their dmx address,.. test audio, test dmx multicores, patch desks and do nothing other than record BASIC position pallets (Ie a basic stage wash and a crowd flyout).

I managed to use magicvis to pre-program the entire show.. The truth is that the fixtures were WAY off in reality of positions, but I just "hung" the fixtures weirdly so that the final light beam was the same as on stage.

The only things missing were prism effects and a few others.. but I was able to extrapolate the DMX values for the prism rotates I like etc from previous shows (lukily with the same heads).
I didnt add any gels to any generic fixtures and just added another fixture to represent smoke/haze etc... but I just needed a working rig ASAP, not something that looked "good".. didnt even add a stage or truss or anything. Just left the fixtures hanging in the air.

basically.. its free... It SAVED MY F%&KING ASS.. without it I would´ve had NOTHING.. and I mean NOTHING.

The other guy who was "in house" was on a pearl and had to do all his programming during the day while bands were playing putting up with the summer heat. I was in my 5* air-conned hotel room with room service.

Since then I have payed out for the basic capture polar (just 1 universe).. only because It gives a more "profesional look" for me to make basic presentations to clients and I just preffered how it works. The end result is pretty much the same in terms of pre-programming. Ie neither is entirelly 100% real world but they do give you a good head start.
basically.. EXPECT DISIMILARITIES between visualiser and real world and try to leave time to correct any issues caused by this on site.
Freelance Lighting, sound, video and repair technician in Spain.
MQ60, Extra Wing Compact & 4 Universe artnet node.
ceecrb1

Postby Lorenzo.Fattori » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:29 am

ceecrb1 wrote:basically.. its free... It SAVED MY F%&KING ASS.. without it I would´ve had NOTHING.. and I mean NOTHING.

The other guy who was "in house" was on a pearl and had to do all his programming during the day while bands were playing putting up with the summer heat. I was in my 5* air-conned hotel room with room service.

i think that's enough: Chamsys 1 - Pearl 0 :mrgreen:
Lorenzo.Fattori

Postby cjallen321 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:43 pm

Thank you for the helpful replies, and thank you ceecrb1 for sharing your experience. The visualiser patch window was my missing link Empyfree! It's good to know that it is a new feature and will be improving, I do find the inability to drag things about quite restricting but I'm getting the hang of it. I've also found the appropriate section in the manual now too (duh!). Gels seem very simple enough to implement and although I see 'truss' and 'invisible' are the only two object types supported at the moment, it certainly serves its purpose. I need to try to focus on designing rather than playing with the visualiser though!

It's really reassuring to know there are those out there willing to offer their time and support to encourage and help along new users like me.

Thank you all,

Chris.
cjallen321

Postby Empyfree » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:44 pm

You can also add the "room" object. Nothing new appears but you can edit the dimensions of the existing room once you've added it! Handy for "realism"!
Empyfree

Postby brooksjo » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:20 am

Hello,

MagicVis visualiser is built into the QuickQ designer, right? Where can I find the guide to use this application (install and run safely) for Mac? I need it for my engineering coursework. Thanks.

essaydune
The Department of Engineering - Joe Brooks
brooksjo

Postby ChamSys.be » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:21 am

MagicVis is built in in MagicQ PC and QuickQ Designer. How to use this application, you can find in the manual of MagicQ: https://secure.chamsys.co.uk/help/docum ... icvis.html.
ChamSys.be
Site Admin

Return to MagicQ & Visualisers