New registrations are temporarily disabled due to a fault with our email system. We are working to resolve this.

Cyclorama as spot definition

Request for new heads and problems with existing heads. Please goto the bugtracker to place your requests: http://download.magicq.co.uk

Moderator: ChamSys.be

Cyclorama as spot definition

Postby Vellemum » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:44 pm

I'm touring wih a gig were I have to lit 3 white surfaces. One of the surfaces is lit with a RGB-ledstrip. For lighting the other two I use 4 spots (red L106, green L139 and 2x blue L119) each with a separete dmx-address.

For conveniant programming I thought: if I make a new spotdefiniton so I can use the 4 spots as a single head, the cyc-head, I can easily choose colors. Nice thought, now the practice!
First I tried to make a new spotdefinition with 3 virtual channels. This works well if the 2 spots used for blue are using 1 dmx-channel. In one of the theatres I came, it was not possible to put the 2 'blue'-spots on 1 dmx-channels because they were 2 kW-spots. So I searched for patching 2 dmx-addresses to this one virtual channel for blue and I couldn't figure out how to do this. As far as I know this is not possible or am I missing something?
I also gave these cyc-heads a virtual dimmer by giving a dimmer the same number as the head.
As a workaround I first patched the same cyc-head again and gave it the same head-number. Now my virtual dimmer channel for this head was gone!? Does somebody knows why? So this was no solution.
The next (working) workaround I found is patching an extra cyc-head and only patching the blue dmx-address for the second blue spot.

Then I thought to make a spotdefinition with 4 virtual channels with 2 channels controlled by the same parameter wheel. When doing this the head editor gave an error: ERRORS attrib clash. So this was also not the solution.

I can work with the way it works now, but does somebody have suggestions to make a 'proper' head-file for this 'spot'.

I'm looking forward to some reactions.
Vellemum

Re: Cyclorama as spot definition

Postby ChamSys.be » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:20 am

I tried here:
- make a head file, 3 channels LTP and set virtual Chans to yes
- patch for example 4 heads
- they get head no. 1-4
- in patch - View DMX i give for example the red channels address 1-4
- in patch - View DMX i give for example the green channels address 5-8
- in patch - View DMX i give for example the blue channels address 9-12
Now i can give each set his own color like it was an RGB fixture.

- Now i did add 4 dimmers
- change the head numbers of these 4 dimmers to 1-4
- Now i select the 4x Virtual head
- press locate: alle channels on
- i can dim and i can change colour without any problem
ChamSys.be
Site Admin

Postby Vellemum » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:34 am

Thanks for the explanation, but this is exactly what I do now. The point is I use 2 spots for the colour blue. So I should have a 4-channel RGBB-spot. How can I make it work with only one head four these 4 spots?

If I make a 4-channel LTP head file, you can't put the 2 blue channels to the same colourwheel and if I patch two 3-channel LTP heads and give them the same headnumber, it is not possible anymore to give these 2 heads also a virtual dimmer by patching a dimmer and give it the same headnumber.

Perhaps there is no other way by doing this the way you explained.
Vellemum

Postby ChamSys.be » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:26 am

Do the same as above, so keep the 3 channels. Because you can't assign one function to multiple DMX channels.

- for the extra blue channel add a dimmer in the patch
- set for this channel the merge field to copy
- set the from field to the channel of blue (see Patch - View Chans to get the right address)
- this way the extra blue channels can be patched ecery where and is doing the same as the other blue channel
ChamSys.be
Site Admin

Postby Vellemum » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:56 pm

Thanks you. I didn't know you could do it this way.
Vellemum

Postby justinbtr » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:46 pm

Hi

Just what I was looking for, but now, how to patch if the colornumbers were not in accounting order?

How can I patch each color to a different adress?

best regards
justinbtr

Return to Personality files