New registrations are temporarily disabled due to a fault with our email system. We are working to resolve this.

Identify channels on unbranded LED batten

Request for new heads and problems with existing heads. Please goto the bugtracker to place your requests: http://download.magicq.co.uk

Moderator: ChamSys.be

Identify channels on unbranded LED batten

Postby Snuffy » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:40 pm

I have a completely unbranded LED batten, is there any way for me to work out which DMX channels do what?

It's an 8 x 3w RGB LED batten. Believed to have originated in China. It has been used professionally before (production stickers on the back). It also has a small 4 button digital menu on the back.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Any help even with the digital menu would be great.

Mods, apologies if this is in the wrong place or been gone over many times before. Any directions would be great.

cheers
Snuffy
Snuffy

Re: Identify channels on unbranded LED batten

Postby ChamSys.be » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:15 pm

The best thing you can do is call the person who did sell you the fixture.
ChamSys.be
Site Admin

Postby Snuffy » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:47 am

I'm almost certain they came out of a skip :(
Snuffy

Postby Snuffy » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:46 am

Can anyone give me a guide of any sort to the digital menu on the back? I've got the likes of ID, Settings, Edit, Fans, CaliB1, Keylock, Static, Auto, Address, Run, Person.

Any push in the right direction would be appreciated.

cheers
Snuffy
Snuffy

Postby ChamSys.be » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:22 pm

This is a ChamSys user forum, not a forum of Chinese Led battens.
If you buy something and you don't get a manual with it, then call the person who did sell it to you!
ChamSys.be
Site Admin

Postby Snuffy » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:11 pm

Well... I am trying to control it with a ChamSys desk, but understood.

cheers
Snuffy
Snuffy

Postby Snuffy » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:26 pm

So, having not gotten too much further down the line with this, can I ask for some info on the Mini Wing and the MagicQ software?

I have one of my battens hooked up to the Mini Wing, and I want to be able to go through the channels on the batten, fader by fader as it where. What mode or page do I need to be on in MagicQ for this to happen? I appreciate that there may be more to it than that. But any help is appreciated.

I could do with a proper button by button breakdown as I'm more than a little lost. Any vids or tutorials would be sweet. Apologies as I know this must be bread and butter to so many of you.

cheers
Snuffy
Snuffy

Postby ChamSys.be » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:31 pm

Just patch a number of generic dimmers. Then go to the intensity page. Each patched dimmer has a fader.
ChamSys.be
Site Admin

Postby Snuffy » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:41 pm

Winner. Slowly getting somewhere. More questions to follow no doubt.

Thanks for the help so far, it's really appreciated.
Snuffy

Postby Snuffy » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:55 pm

Another dumb question...

When I hit 'save' it brings up a dialogue box rather than auto saving with the last given name? Do I have to remember the exact file name and over save it every time? It doesn't show me the folder / directory where the files are saved?

Similar happens with 'save as', it just gives me a dialogue box but doesn't show me the folder / directory where the files are saved, thus not giving me any choices to save as another previous name or the like?
Snuffy

Postby ChamSys.be » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:58 pm

If you read the text in the pop-up, then you will see that Pressing RETURN overwrites the file with the same name!
Standard the software make auto-backups.
ChamSys.be
Site Admin

Postby Snuffy » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:13 pm

I knew I was missing something! Thank you, that saves me having lots of the same file with slightly different spelt names! :D
Snuffy

Postby Snuffy » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:51 pm

A couple more for you...

1. Having had some success with the dimmers and the intensity page (I push up the dimmers on the intensity page in MagicQ, and the lights on the physical batten go on etc), is there a way to control those same dimmers with the MiniWing?

Currently the MiniWing is a little redundant, and I'd like to work it into the equation, just to get a better understanding of how it works with the software. But I appreciate in this situation / mode I might not be able to.

2. I have created a fixture profile for the LED batten, Patch > View Heads > Edit Head > New Head. I've added what I think is the correct number of channels for it (4 - Dimmer, R, G, and B), and then added ranges for those channels (0-255 etc). But once I patch that newly created head, I get nothing from it in the visualiser or on the intensity page or the like. Can anyone point me in the direction of more info on how to set up the head correctly? I'm sure it's just some small steps I'm missing.

I appreciate the above is a more basic DMX question, but as i'm trying to create it in MagicQ, hopefully it is relevant to this message board.

cheers
Snuffy
Snuffy

Postby ChamSys.be » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:05 pm

In the library is standard a fixture Generic - Led4ch - Dim+RGB. This one will appear also in the visualiser.
ChamSys.be
Site Admin

Postby Snuffy » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:12 pm

Nice one!

I can get the Led4ch into the visualiser, got a chase going, but can't get anything out of the physical batten.

Again, I feel like I'm missing something quite important / obvious / fundamental here.
Snuffy

Next

Return to Personality files