New registrations are temporarily disabled due to a fault with our email system. We are working to resolve this.

Magic Mini Wing- MIDI input (MSC)!!

Hardware related questions about Mini Wing, PC Wing & Maxi Wing.

Moderator: ChamSys.be

Magic Mini Wing- MIDI input (MSC)!!

Postby miguelraokumar » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:17 pm

I am hoping someone can help.

I have both a Mini Wing and a MQ40. I am looking to use one or the other next weekend to run in parrellel with a bands Ableton which is being setup to trigger loops with some very big points in a song and also the video.

We want to be able to perfectly align the lighting with the video and Audio loop, however the MQ40 doesn't have the ability to take an external Mini input built in or on an external card. We can program and then move over to the wing to run the show.

The problem is how we get Midi or a remote trigger into the desk/PC. I can see a number possible ways but not find anyone who has done it before.
- Can you use a third party USB Midi Controller when running a Mini Wing or does it have to be Chamsys own unit.

- Can we run the Wing on Universe 2 and on the Universe one use a Enttec PRO USB which has DMX input and find someway of getting DMX out of Ableton if this is possible (i also have a Open DMX dongle and a Magic DMX Dongle spare)

- We use a DMX to artnet (which I have) to get Artnet commands out of the MQ40 or direct from a MagicQ PC and trigger ableton via Artnet. Possible artnet to Midi conversion to get into ableton

- Use DMX to relay to trigger the bands looptimus controller which in turn will trigger the loop and video. The looptimus controller does have what Looptimus call an Expression jack to be used with a footpedal such as a Roland EV-5

Would appreciate anyone's help or advice.
miguelraokumar

Re: Magic Mini Wing- MIDI input (MSC)!!

Postby ChamSys.be » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:55 pm

- Can you use a third party USB Midi Controller when running a Mini Wing or does it have to be Chamsys own unit.

If you want to use Midi Timecode then a Mini Wing and a 3th party MIDI interface is enough. If you want to use MIDI notes, then you need also a MagicQ Rack Mount Dongle.

- Can we run the Wing on Universe 2 and on the Universe one use a Enttec PRO USB which has DMX input and find someway of getting DMX out of Ableton if this is possible (i also have a Open DMX dongle and a Magic DMX Dongle spare)

Enntec interface can not be used for DMX in.

- We use a DMX to artnet (which I have) to get Artnet commands out of the MQ40 or direct from a MagicQ PC and trigger ableton via Artnet. Possible artnet to Midi conversion to get into ableton

Via ArtNet input you can trigger certain things. But then you need to find a Midi to ArtNet convertor.

- But why not sending the audio from within the Cue stack in ChamSys? Then you don't need Ableton.
- or if Ableton can send OSC codes via network then it is also possible.
ChamSys.be
Site Admin

Return to PC Wings