New registrations are temporarily disabled due to a fault with our email system. We are working to resolve this.

PC Wing driver issue

Hardware related questions about Mini Wing, PC Wing & Maxi Wing.

Moderator: ChamSys.be

PC Wing driver issue

Postby Nitzer » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:37 am

Hello there,

last night I suddenly had a problem with my PC wing not connecting to the software. While I was waiting the Led's started blinking and the desklight went black. It was an half hour before the show, so the timing couldn't be worse.
Now I managed to fix it by removing the drivers and then reconnect the wing. My Windows (8.1) detected the wing and installed drives and now it's working again. So far so good, but I really don't want this to happen again.
So my question is: how can I know for sure that Windows is using the correct drivers? Or maybe there was another issue last night that caused my wing to stop working?

Windows version: 8.1
Device name: Generic USB Hub
Driver version: 6.3.9600.17238

Strange part is that the driver name was dutch before I removed it?

greets
Nitzer

Re: PC Wing driver issue

Postby Geert » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:12 pm

If you have a dutch win8.1, it should be named 'USB Hoofdhub'. But if you use the english version it should be OK. When you removed the wrong driver Windows automatically searches for a driver. And it found the right driver somewhere. Are you connected to the internet? Then it probably found the driver via a search on the internet. That's why you got the english version.

You should disable automatic installation of updates.

Only update when you have the ability and time to test.
Geert

Re: PC Wing driver issue

Postby Nitzer » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:28 pm

Geert wrote:If you have a dutch win8.1, it should be named 'USB Hoofdhub'. But if you use the english version it should be OK. When you removed the wrong driver Windows automatically searches for a driver. And it found the right driver somewhere. Are you connected to the internet? Then it probably found the driver via a search on the internet. That's why you got the english version.

You should disable automatic installation of updates.

Only update when you have the ability and time to test.

The strange part is that it worked for more than 25 shows without any problem. So Windows did something weird with the driver. I have the dutch version and the driver name was "generieke usb hub'' before. I find it all a bit confusing. What should be the correct driver? I also directed Windows to the location of the chamsys map, so that should be ok right?
Nitzer

Return to PC Wings