Can't install driver on PC

Hardware related questions about Mini Wing, PC Wing & Maxi Wing.

Moderator: ChamSys.be

Can't install driver on PC

Postby aeOm » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:35 pm

Hello,

My PC Wing was working just fine until yesterday, when it didn't connect to the PC. After browsing Device Manager, I couldn't find any Chamsys device. For some reason, now it's called "USB serial converter", but it doesn't allow me to install PC Wing drivers. I've tried Configure.exe, but it tells me "Programming failed". Also, it doesn't allow me to enter full serial number, just 8 digits at all. Tried last 4, last 5, last .... until first 4, nothing happened. Please, help. It has to work tomorrow... :/
aeOm

Re: Can't install driver on PC

Postby aeOm » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:42 pm

This is how the driver looks in Device manager.
Attachments
Chamsys in Device manager.png
Chamsys in Device manager.png (11.51 KiB) Viewed 3009 times
aeOm

Postby ChamSys.be » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:30 am

Please follow the instructions in the manual for installation of the drivers:

https://secure.chamsys.co.uk/help/docum ... on_windows
ChamSys.be
Site Admin

Postby livinlights » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:17 am

Hello I am having the same issues. My computer sees the device but in device manager it is showing as USB Serial Converter and I can't update the driver. It was just working a few hrs ago. I noticed it was initially turning on and off and that had to do with the USB power management.
livinlights

Postby ChamSys.be » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:43 am

A pc wing compact is shown as usb serial convertor, this is normal. But please follow the instructions in the manual, or the link in the previous post!
ChamSys.be
Site Admin

Postby livinlights » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:55 am

That's the problem. I don't see any drivers to update that has Chamsys, MagicQ, or FTDI. Please advise.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (27.44 KiB) Viewed 2951 times
livinlights

Postby ChamSys.be » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:56 am

Then there is something else wrong! Please contact your local distributor.
ChamSys.be
Site Admin

Postby duntokin » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:54 pm

Hi I'm having the same problems with win 10 on 2 laptops Pcwing has been running fine for a year on both until last week. Switched on a few days ago ... No connection. tried 2nd laptop ....no connection. Couldnt find anything in device manager. plugged unplugged could see a extra usb , to cut a long story short, via re-installing win10 on both machines to a clean state with NOTHING else installed EVENTUALLY got them running fine after a lot of trial and error updating the usb driver as per the manual instructions, however, after a break of a few days with laptops switched off. switched on just now and,,,,,,,,NOTHING. after a few reboots have got one going again but seems a bit shaky,

On the laptop that is working, looking in device manager there is no mention of a chamsys device in any heading.

On the other a Lenovo i7 machine, i still cant get a connection between laptop and wing, have noticed a win 10 update today when switching on laptop. So am restoring to a state previous to this update.

Ok done that, its now connecting, so it would seem to me that this problem is caused by WIN 10 updates as the laptop that i got going first didnt have the latest win 10 update.

still nothing in device manager apart from an extra Generic USB Hub.

Have rebooted several times now and still connects. Is there anywhere in the manual that says run Magicq BEFORE powering up wing?
duntokin

Postby ChamSys.be » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:36 am

PC Compact Wing is not advertised as MagicQ but as a Serial device. After a Windows 10 update it is indeed possible that Windows did change the drivers. So this can be the reason that it doesn't connect anymore.
ChamSys.be
Site Admin

Postby joapalmer » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:24 am

Hello. I have the exact same issue. What used to work just doesn't. After a Windows 10 update the PC Wing just flashes rendering my setup unusable. Any ideas, this is killing me! (of course I tried updating the driver, doesn't change anything) What is this FTDI ?
joapalmer

Postby ChamSys.be » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:34 am

The only solution is installing the driver again, like described in the manual.
Windows updates install a newer version of the FTDI driver that doesn't work.

Or call your local distributor to help you installing the right driver.
ChamSys.be
Site Admin

Postby joapalmer » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:59 am

When I try to update the driver Windows is telling me I already have the newest driver, so reinstalling the driver fails.

The I remove the current driver, unplugging and plugging back the pc wing and instantly selecting update driver. Then I can install the driver as described in the manual but still no contact with the wing.

Seriously, this makes the lighting solution unusable and destroying my show. I tried contacting my dealer but still no good help. This issue need some attention as it seems as Windows doesn't work as it is described in the manual.
joapalmer

Postby ChamSys.be » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:04 am

Again: installing the driver again, like described in the manual. So not automatically installing!
ChamSys.be
Site Admin

Postby joapalmer » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:38 am

OK, Got it. Apparently didn't follow the manual thorough enough...
joapalmer

Postby wawawayne » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:53 pm

I have similar issue. My PC Wing Compact was working fine until a few weeks ago. The wing shows up in device manager as the USB Serial Converter just fine, I've pointed the update driver dialog box to the appropriate folder as in the instructions (PC Wing Compact 2.08.24 WHQL Certified) and Windows says I have the correct drivers installed. My drivers look like the window previously posted in this topic. I think I've set up MQ correctly... enabled the wing in Setup, View System, View Wings, under Type I selected Yes, Auto DMX (I also tried FTDI driver, auto DMX), View Settings, Ports I also selected Yes, Auto DMX... can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Please help! Thanks.
Wayne Simpson
Marlborough, Mass., USA
wawawayne1@gmail.com
+1-508-612-2742
wawawayne

Return to PC Wings