Chamsys Mini Wing DMX Signal dips

Hardware related questions about Mini Wing, PC Wing & Maxi Wing.

Moderator: ChamSys.be

Chamsys Mini Wing DMX Signal dips

Postby Manuel » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:40 am

Hey there,

Few months ago I purchased a Chamsys Miniwing. In combination with my touchscreen laptop this is a very powerfull tool. Im am very satisfied but there is one problem:

The DMX signal dips every minute or so. Is stays off for about 4 seconds and then starts again. This is not acceptable in the way I drive my lighting-rigs and media server. What can I do to solve this? I run the software on a dedicated up-to-date laptop. It has a clean install of Win Vista and I only run Chamsys Magic-q on the laptop...

Sadly this managed to stress me out completely this newyear. I had a few very important gigs and my gear was letting me down... I was not amused...

Anybody recognizes this and how did you guys solve this?

Btw: The serial number is: ch32405080222
Manuel

Re: Chamsys Mini Wing DMX Signal dips

Postby ChamSys.be » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:04 am

- are the Blue leds start the chase from PB 1 to PB10 when this happens ?
- The Mini Wing takes his power from the USB port, some laptops have not enough power on the USB port, so try a powered USB hub to see this solves the problem
- check also that your Laptop can not switch off the power of the USB ports, standard it can do it to save power consumption
ChamSys.be
Site Admin

Postby Manuel » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:23 pm

Jep, the bleu leds are chasing just when you first connect the wing to the Laptop... So it must be the power supply. I must say that i think its a design error not to incorporate a internal power supply if this is a known error... I dont want to carry arround with 20 adaptors inc cables etc... But ok, ill bring a powered usb hub to my gigs... :(
Manuel

Postby ChamSys.be » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:59 pm

When connecting the wing to the laptop, it is normal that the leds start chasing.
But to they also start chasing during operating ? If yes, then this means that the USB connection was lost.
ChamSys.be
Site Admin

Postby Manuel » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:57 am

They start chasing during operation also. I have bought a powered USB hub and did a show last night and the same thing happened. What can this be?

I dont understand. In lighting design and specificly operating there is NO ROOM WHAT SO EVER for signal dips... How can you sell a product that you need tweak and tweak while this is one of the primary qualities a lighting desk should have...

I bought my miniwing at Appled in the Netherlands and the guys there told me that sometimes windows shuts down USB ports when they are not in use. But the wing also loses power during opererating: While im flasing etc... So the wing loses power while the USB port is used. You can emagine: Very anoying when this happens when the strobes or smoke machine where on because they dont reset until the wing is powered again. :shock:

Ok, anybody have some suggestions on how I could get rid of the power dips on my miniwing?
Manuel

Postby ChamSys.be » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:30 am

If it is windows shutting down the USB port, then read the manual attached (last pages).

If this problem happens during operation:
- be sure to have the latest software and drivers installed
- try first on another PC
- if it happens also on another PC, then it is a hardware problem and you have to send it back for repair
All ChamSys USB interfaces and wings are stable and should not loose USB connection at any time.
Attachments
MagicQ PC Wing installatie instructies.zip
(220.5 KiB) Downloaded 106 times
ChamSys.be
Site Admin

Postby Manuel » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:55 pm

Ok, ill go and check the USB shutdown tickbox... I must say Im not happy about this. I think the wing should be stable out of the box OR I should be told very very very clearly when I bought it that I needed a powered USB hub and reconfigure my OS. You cant let people use your gear and discover on site that the gear is not stable. NB: When I bought the wing they did nog give me the file you just posted...

Anywayzzzz, Ill report back in a few weeks.

Thanks for the support.

Kind regards,

Manuel Rodrigues
Manuel

Postby ChamSys.be » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:09 pm

- That windows is shutting down USB ports, is a windows problem, so nothing todo with ChamSys
- That you need a powered USB hub or not depends on the PC, i have here 10 pc's running all without powered USB hub, but i have seen some portables that deliver not enough power on the USB port and then you need a powered USB hub, so nothing todo with ChamSys
- ChamSys products are stable, but from time to time some PC's are doing other thnigs than expected. The files i did put online is only necessary if you have one of these PC's that are not doing what you expect so it is not a general thing !

But it can be be that you have bad luck and that your wing has a hardware problem. Your first post on this forum is from January, in your case, i already had asked the supplier to test it and eventually test with another mini wing to see this make a difference. Hardware problemsn can't be solved on the forum!
ChamSys.be
Site Admin

Postby machtl » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:06 pm

Hey Manuel,

cool down buddy! 8)

The ChamsysWings works perfect, if your Wing doesn't work on your laptop without using an external powered usb-hub, then thats a problem of your laptop and your laptops usb-ports are out of the specification!
Working with a MiniWing without an external hub is the normal Operation-Mode here... no problems at all.

And, a good hint, forget Windows Vista. Vista is crap, and no realtime OS with all the bugs. For a really well running system, use either XP Pro SP3 or use the new Windows7. Vista make strange things with some pieces of software! It shouldn't do that, but Vista sometimes make things you can't understand. So, install a Bootmanager on your laptop, install a clean XP Pro SP3 and be happy with your perfect running system. :wink:

Ciao
Martin
machtl

Postby Manuel » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:43 am

Hey you guys!

Ok, Maybee i had some badluck but since this is a known issue my reseller should have pointed out that this could be the case. And: if the wing is used with a external aparatus and the specs of this apparatus influence the performance of the product Chamsys delivers maybee, just to be on the safe side, Chamsys should have adepted the product to avoid these problems?

Ok, ill stop bitching now... :mrgreen:
Manuel

Postby Manuel » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:40 am

Ok, Just checked if windows turned off the usb posts and it the tickboxes where not checked and windows was already optimized for best performance...

So ill have to send my wing back to Britain?
Manuel

Postby ChamSys.be » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:50 am

Once again, contact your distributor, he will take care of it!
ChamSys.be
Site Admin

Postby machtl » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:11 pm

you've tried it with an external powered usb-hub too?

and you've tried it on a win-xp machine too?
machtl

Postby Manuel » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:08 am

Hi Machtl,

Of course I have tried to run Magic Q PC on XP. I bought a XP licence specific for this. The touchscreen drivers dont work under XP. Only under vista. And I tried using a powerd hub offcourse...
Manuel

Postby machtl » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:54 am

ok, if the wing produces the same problems under winxp the wing has a bug. you should send it back to your distributor...

ciao
martin
machtl

Next

Return to PC Wings