New registrations are temporarily disabled due to a fault with our email system. We are working to resolve this.

Trying to input DMX from old console into SnakeB4 magicq

Everything about MIDI/SMPTE, Audio, USB-DMX, Ethernet-DMX interfaces.

Moderator: ChamSys.be

Trying to input DMX from old console into SnakeB4 magicq

Postby Magicdominik » Mon May 18, 2020 11:52 pm

I just got a Snake b4 ethernet module. It is connected and magicq on my mac is active and not in demo mode. I have my old horizon pc system outputting dmx into the dmx input on the snake b4. I am not seeing any dmx values coming in. I have created a dummy show with 1 to 1 patch of dimmers on both consoles. Horizon is running in a loop fading up and down 44 channels/dimmers to full and 0. The magic q doesn't show any activity in the "output/view dmx" window. Selecting the heads/dimmers and capturing in prog shows nothing. I have been messing with all the settings I can find. I created a brand new file with defaults and still no input activity. I have looked on youtube and found nothing. I tried the manual but found it to be lacking in info.
What I want to do is:
capture existing cues off horizon into magic q so i don't have to create the whole show from scratch.

Magic q System is mac pro 3 1 running el capitan with ethernet plugged to snake b4. non demo mode.
Horizon is a pc win xp with horizon module running dmx 1 universe output.
The dmx output from horizon is plugged into the input on back of the ethernet snake b4. The blue led is lit constantly and the white led below pluses at 1 second pulse. The mq led on front pulses. the orange act led pulses with activity and the link led is constant.
Magicdominik

Re: Trying to input DMX from old console into SnakeB4 magicq

Postby ChamSys.be » Tue May 19, 2020 8:32 am

Did you set the right universe in Setup - View DMX I/O: In Type and In Uni !?
ChamSys.be
Site Admin

Postby Magicdominik » Tue May 19, 2020 8:29 pm

I am under the impression that I did. I tried a lot of different things. I changed the uni, input, etc. I am sure i covered all the possible configurations. Any tips on how it should be set up? I will play with it today some more with lights connected to see what might be happening.
Magicdominik

Postby Magicdominik » Wed May 20, 2020 5:35 am

So now that I have the unit connected to my lighting rig I'm not getting any DMX output. It shows up in Magicq and says artnet 0-3 output, but nothing is happening. the program is not in demo mode. so it is talking to it. so strange. I have no idea what to do now. I'll try tech support tomorrow.
Magicdominik

Postby Magicdominik » Wed May 20, 2020 6:56 pm

Finally figured it out. Had to set a static IP address on the computer usb to ethernet dongle, then it all came a live with blinding blue status led's. Odd that it was showing up in the magicq program, but not functional.
Magicdominik

Return to MagicQ Interfaces