New registrations are temporarily disabled due to a fault with our email system. We are working to resolve this.

MagicDMX Basic - Flicker

Everything about MIDI/SMPTE, Audio, USB-DMX, Ethernet-DMX interfaces.

Moderator: ChamSys.be

MagicDMX Basic - Flicker

Postby tbarden » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:08 pm

We are considering moving from an ETC Smartfade to MagicQ. With the intent of trying things out I ordered a MagicDMX Basic and provisioned it on a new ASUS laptop with Win 10. Our little black box has about 40 conventional instruments with a collection of Elation pipe mounted dimmer paks. Works perfectly with our Smartfade but the MagicQ visualizer, support for intelligent fixtures which I hope to buy and all the other MagicQ benefits are enticing.

Unfortunately, when trying the MagicDMX Basic the instruments simply flicker (though they do seem to be tracking intensity correctly). Interface Status reports "Basic V1 ..... DMX Out" The device itself has solid green and flickering yellow status lights so all seems in order. I've tried a USB 2.0 hub, running the MagicDMX output through the Smartfade in backup mode (it passes through DMX data on Channel 1), connecting it to only one dimmer pak but the result is always exactly the same.

Oh, and yes, when the Smartfade is reconnected all is well.

All suggestions greatly appreciated!
tbarden

Re: MagicDMX Basic - Flicker

Postby ChamSys.be » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:41 am

This can have many reasons. Ask a friend to get a MagicQ interface in loan to test it.
ChamSys.be
Site Admin

Re: MagicDMX Basic - Flicker

Postby tbarden » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:45 am

ChamSys.be wrote:This can have many reasons. Ask a friend to get a MagicQ interface in loan to test it.

I was able to get the DMX interface to work correctly with a different laptop with no changes to the show file. I'm not sure what the difference could be but I'll be checking updates to see if I can track down the problem. Both are running Win 10 and should be up to date but obviously, something is different.
tbarden

Return to MagicQ Interfaces